|The Hythe Pier was opened in 1880 and the 2ft. tramway was opened in 1909. Hand propulsion was used for four-wheeled luggage trucks.
After the First World War the line was electrified using a third rail on the seaward side of the single track line. Second-hand locomotives from the Avon Mustard Gas Factory were purchased and brought into use in 1922.
At the pier entrance there are two short non-electrified sidings, one of which leads into the coach shed.
The line is operated throughout the year and the trains connect with all the ferry sailings to and from Southampton. There is only one train in service at any one time